Destiny – in our hands?

In my childhood days whenever I meet astrologers, my distant uncle was an astrologer and I knew few others through him, I used to ask them on whether human life is pre-determined or he has the freedom to decide his future? Either way, what is the use of astrological prediction for me if I cannot change that? If I can change that, means future is not already decided, then how can you predict something which is not there now and is based on my future actions?

I used to get different answers. One such response looked acceptable for me was, There is destiny, that is future is decided. But you have freedom to change it through your efforts. Humans are under the influence of stars and their positioning in one’s birth. However, by practicing certain methods like reciting Mantras, performing Sacrifices, visiting holy places will reduce the impact of bad position of stars. This may be true or may be working through belief/faith, but results were coming.

Today when I thing about modern literature on success and ponder what brings success? What decides your future? Is it destiny or hard work or both, certain jnan comes to mind.

Destiny is very much a factor having tremendous impact on our being. Where I was born, who are my parents? What was the planets position? What is my colour, height etc., are destiny. We have not chosen them or we have no role in deciding these.

Now having accepted this destiny, how will I perform in this world is my decision, my effort. Hard work will bring success. Because of destiny the level of effort required may be different  from others. However, I have absolute freedom of response to the destiny. There is stimulus coming from destiny , then there is response we give to this stimuli that decides our future destiny.

We are on an ongoing journey, every step decides where we go from the current position which is my present destiny. When I was born , probably it is by karma of previous life, the path I had taken in my previous life that decided the starting point of this life. From there every step I took , every choice I made decided by future there from. Thus, I am the writer of my future, destiny. Hard work determines my destiny. This is nature’s law. Every action you take, results in reaction in the form of changed destiny.

You might not have got admission in premier institute , but if you study well , persist , you are bound to get success. It is not necessary that success stories/ toppers come only from premier colleges. Stickitivenes, persistence is very essential for success.

A child born deaf , blind will ask what sin I have done to be born like this. Why God is so unfair to me. The answer is,  it is the result of deeds of previous lives. This is called sanchitha karma, the accumulated result of all the deeds of all previous lives minus whatever cleared till now.  We have born and keep taking birth, till we clear all such karmas and become pure, un attached , where no thoughts and attachments to worldly things and then the cycle of birth and death ends. This is called Moksha. There are many ways to achieve this and Karma Yoga ,Nishkama karma taught by Lord Krishna is one easy and simple way to remain detached from the result of karmas and thus need not work towards clearing the results of the karma we do. We will be operating above the level of Karmic Law. Karma doesn’t attach to us when we do this without any expectation, just as a duty.

Prarabdha Karma is the karma  tied to us while we are born . Then, we have the free will with which we can make choices. It is like playing the game of cards. What cards you received, is not in your hand. That is your prarabdha, destiny. But, how effectively you use this cards and how intelligently you play( kriyaman Karma) decides your success here on.

We all have free will, the  karma we accumulate by acting through our will is  “Kriyaman karma”. Prarabhdh and sanchit is decided, but Kriyaman karma is in our hands.

Whatever is happening to me today is the result of previous karma, may be of 10 years ago, 50 years ago or in various previous lives. We may not remember those and crib, why all this happens to me only? This is all result of our karmas. Since we do not know this, we blame others for our misfortunes. The moment we stop blaming others and start taking responsibility for our deeds, we stop worrying and start acting, and success will be with us. This is the only way to be happy.

Isha Upanishad brings out this nicely by saying that This whole world and whatever we have belongs to God and we are enjoying whatever given by him. Don’t covet others wealth. Keep doing your duty in this world and live hundred years. There is no other option and when you live like this, karma will not attach to you and you are free from Karmic law and ready to be liberated. Lord Krishna in Geeta summarized this by saying “ karmenyevadhikaraste , MA phaleshu Kadachanah” you have right only on your duty , not on the results . Without worrying about the results whatever your dharma you keep doing. Then “Na Karma Lipyate nare” , Karma results will not attach to you , means you are acting above the karmic law.

There are other ways to overcome the attached sins and get Moksha. Lord Krishna has mentioned all the margas ( ways) of Yoga ( joining the God ). Bhakti Yoga , Karma Yoga , Jnana yoga. In Bhakti youga he preaches complete surrender to the ultimate power and believe you are only an instrument in his hands and acting as desired by him. Then God becomes owner of results of karma and I am free. Then he also mentioned karma yoga as discussed above. He also spoke about Jnana yoga as you elevate in the life cycle , you get real knowledge of you and that detaches you from all the attachments. Here it is said that human is pure spirit , and Maya or illusion covered him making him to think that he is this body and experiencing all pain and pleasure. By knowing that you are not this body , not these senses, not any relationships , you realize you are pure and get liberated from the cycle of rebirth.

 In Nirvana Shataka , Adi shankara beautifully describes how all the senses , all the relations, all the elements are not me. I am above all that and  “Chidananda Rupah , Sivoham Sivoham” . That is I am the eternal bliss and God Shiva. We will discuss this in our next blog.

pl provide your views.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog