Common Man and Yoga

 

Yoga and Me

It is fashionable these days to mention the phrase/word “ Yoga “. However, how many of such people are really getting benefitted from yoga is a question. Yoga means different for different people. For some it is practicing Asanas( postures). For some, it is breathing practices, yet for some it is Meditation ( sitting in silence). There are yogas mentioned in Bhagavad gita and in Hindu writings categorizing and describing Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga, Jnana Yoga , Raja Yoga etc., Then there is Ashtanga Yoga from Patanjali  Maharshi , a holistic approach for life through this Yoga.

Yoga is also explained with the word meaning like Yoga means Union , Union of two elements , Atman and Paramatman, i.e Human and God. That is Union of our inner with the outer world, removing duality. It is my belief that our mind is part of the universal mind and has connected to that. Depending upon our switched frequency we broadcast and receive signals.

All these are Yoga and all have the benefits for the true follower/practitioner.  From a layman perspective , for me the purpose of Yoga is success in life , happiness in life. To overcome my weaknesses and miseries and keep my cool at all times.  To put in  krishna’s words , to overcome  “Bhaya , Raga , Dwesha “ ( i.e attachment , fear and anger)

How do I try to use my understanding  of Yoga for my benefit is something I am penning here.

First let me summarize what I do /practice daily. Morning I get up at 5 am and after routine , at 6 am  start a few physical exercises for warm up , followed by few Surya namaskars and a few asanas. This makes me feel light . Then I do pranayama for 20 minutes sitting in Vajrasana , combination of Anuloma/ Viloma , Nadishuddhi and then something I learnt from Rishi samskriti vidya kendra of bangalore and subsequently again from Art of living, Followed by Bastrika and some times Kapala bhati. Then I go for Yoga Nidra for about 5-10 minutes relaxing each part of the body through auto suggestion. All this makes me very light and cool. In all this my subconscious mind picks message of peace and health and builds healthy body and peaceful mind. That is enough for one to be happy whole day and also in the  long run. I also practice Steam inhaling , salt water Gargling and Jala Nethi on 2-3 days in a week.

 Some of the above activities  are considered as Yoga and some may not be. Does that make any difference for me ? No. whatever name you call these activities by , the benefit is what matters. I am getting benefitted. Whenever I get tensed on something , some worry comes , I try to calm my nerves using deep relaxing technique using deep breathing and observing the breath. For mew this is also Yoga as this connects me to the real truth that my basic nature is happiness. I tell my mind we are on this plannet for a short while , have seen various tough times and all those have passed away. This too will pass. Heavens are not going to fall. After Night, day has to come. It brings me in unity with the power that be , may be God , Nature , spirit , physical /spiritual law , whatever and reduces my anxiety.

Probably nicely balancing everything is YOGA. 

Let us practice Yoga in whatever way we like or suits us and enjoy happiness and success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog